Monday, August 13, 2012

Out with a Bang

Did anyone else watch the closing ceremony for the Olympics?? Like I admitted before, I got very into the Olympics this year.  Probably more so than I have in years.  So with all the hype as to who would be performing, I could not wait to see the closing ceremony, which in many ways was a giant concert to celebrate some great British music.  I will say that at times I did not see how one thing transitioned into another, feeling that things were a little disjointed.  And while there are some performances I could have lived without (Pet Shop Boys, really? Especially being wheeled around in those strange outfits) there were some that I thought were great!

One part that I enjoyed but didn't necessarily understand was the fashion segment.  I think it largely got lost in translation due to some bad commentary during that point of the broadcast.  I could faintly hear the Olympic announces saying names of British designers as large billboards of famous British fashion models were entering the stadium.  But I hated that the NBC announcers were unprepared to tell us the significance of this segment.  Oh, and the only names they knew were Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell.  Which is understandable, they are newscasters, that's probably all they know about fashion, but that's all the rest of America knows as well and it would have been nice to educate.  Especially when one of the model is Britain's legendary rock and roll band member, The Rolling Stones's Mick Jagger's daughter - Georgia May Jagger.  But alas, some further research on my part shows that all the models were indeed British and they were all clad in different British designers, therefore the segment was a glittery homage to London's current vibrant fashion scene.

Here are some images of the models by photographer Nick Night and a few of my favorite closing ceremony moments!  Enjoy!


Naomi Campbell in Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen

Kate Moss in Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen

Karen Elson in Burberry

Georgia May Jagger in Victoria Beckham

Stella Tennant in Christopher Kane

Lily Cole in Erdem

Lily Donaldson in Vivienne Westwood

David Gandy in Paul Smith and Jourdan Dunn in Jonathan Saunders and Stephen Jones headdress

(above images via British Vogue)


Russel Brand performing "I am the walrus" which was perfection!

The Spice Girls!!!!!
Jessie J, Tinie Tempah and Taio Cruz

One Direction

(above images via Daily Mail UK)




No comments:

Post a Comment