Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Great Gatsby

As I have already explained, I am a huge movie buff.  I also get excited about movies months before they're in theaters.  And this is definitely one of them.  The Great Gatsby.

For months already I've been keeping up with the news of Baz Luhrman's reinterpretation of the timeless classic of the same name by F. Scott Fitzgerald.  From hearing that Leonardo DiCaprio would play the enigmatic Jay Gatsby to finding out that Carey Mulligan would be the coy Daisy to seeing first ever pictures from the set.  But it's finally here.  The Gatsby trailer.

My mom actually told me about it yesterday and I must say I've already watched it several times.  I love how over the top and beautiful everything looks from the costumes to the sets to the crazy party scenes.  The 1920s is truly one of my favorite eras - the prohibition, the gangsters, the flappers and the fashion.  Everything involving the 20s is the stuff that great movies are made of.  And Baz Luhrman in my opinion, makes great movies.  He is after all the man who took Shakespeare's Romeo + Juilet and made it modern and relevant with gang violence and feuding families, without changing any of the Bard's language (although, I believe there were some edits...).  And he was able to take turn of the century Paris and transform it into one of the most magical scenes against which to set the musical and tragic love story that is Moulin Rouge.  From the looks of the Gatsby trailer, the film seems to have the same carefree raunch and playfulness with all of the drama and beauty.

The only thing I dislike is that I have to wait until Christmas to actually see the film in theaters.  But until then I will keep watching this trailer.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment